Skip to main content

How to connect to a guest OS from other machines (Oracle Virtual Box)

1. A background story

My home machine had Windows 7 and Linux (dual boot). One day I tried to upgrade to Windows 10. But, it destroyed my MBR of the hard drive. After I fixed the MBR, I got an interesting go and back:

  1. Upgrading to Windows 10 ... a problem detected and restore to the old state, reboot
  2. Booting Windows 7 and detected upgrade Windows 10, upgrading, reboot
  3. Go to the state 1

I decided to do a clean install of Windows 7 and use the Linux in a virtual machine. I only need one Windows commercial application, but. it needs a graphics card access. Thus I cannot put the Windows in a virtual machine. I need some server processes on my Linux machine.

When I did a clean install of Windows 7, the Windows update didn't work. The Windows update program had an issue. To fix this problem, I should first need to update the updater, but the updater had an issue. I got an interesting problem here:

  1. Windows update has a problem and can not update.
  2. To fix the problem, you need to update the Windows update.
  3. Go to 1.

Fortunately, Microsoft provided the fix and I can manually install the patch. (Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2)

After this fix, I can use Windows update of the Windows 7. Now finally we can talk how to connect to a guest OS from other machines.

2. How to connect to a guest OS from other machines.


My environment is Windows 7 (Host OS) and Kubuntu 14.04 (Guest OS). We need to set up two things.

  1. Make the gust OS visible from other machines
  2. Assign a (local) static IP address to the guest machine

2.1 Make the gust OS visible from other machines


  • Environment: Virtual Box 5.0.26
  • Select guest OS and right click -- Setting -- Network
  • Select "bridge adapter"
  • Note: in this tab, click "advanced" shows the MAC address of virtual network adapter.

Figure 1 the network setting window
For the 2nd problem, there are a few solutions. I set up the fixed (static) IP address using the DHCP server setting. See the details here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why A^{T}A is invertible? (2) Linear Algebra

Why A^{T}A has the inverse Let me explain why A^{T}A has the inverse, if the columns of A are independent. First, if a matrix is n by n, and all the columns are independent, then this is a square full rank matrix. Therefore, there is the inverse. So, the problem is when A is a m by n, rectangle matrix.  Strang's explanation is based on null space. Null space and column space are the fundamental of the linear algebra. This explanation is simple and clear. However, when I was a University student, I did not recall the explanation of the null space in my linear algebra class. Maybe I was careless. I regret that... Explanation based on null space This explanation is based on Strang's book. Column space and null space are the main characters. Let's start with this explanation. Assume  x  where x is in the null space of A .  The matrices ( A^{T} A ) and A share the null space as the following: This means, if x is in the null space of A , x is also in the null spa

Gauss's quote for positive, negative, and imaginary number

Recently I watched the following great videos about imaginary numbers by Welch Labs. https://youtu.be/T647CGsuOVU?list=PLiaHhY2iBX9g6KIvZ_703G3KJXapKkNaF I like this article about naming of math by Kalid Azad. https://betterexplained.com/articles/learning-tip-idea-name/ Both articles mentioned about Gauss, who suggested to use other names of positive, negative, and imaginary numbers. Gauss wrote these names are wrong and that is one of the reason people didn't get why negative times negative is positive, or, pure positive imaginary times pure positive imaginary is negative real number. I made a few videos about explaining why -1 * -1 = +1, too. Explanation: why -1 * -1 = +1 by pattern https://youtu.be/uD7JRdAzKP8 Explanation: why -1 * -1 = +1 by climbing a mountain https://youtu.be/uD7JRdAzKP8 But actually Gauss's insight is much powerful. The original is in the Gauß, Werke, Bd. 2, S. 178 . Hätte man +1, -1, √-1) nicht positiv, negative, imaginäre (oder gar um

Why parallelogram area is |ad-bc|?

Here is my question. The area of parallelogram is the difference of these two rectangles (red rectangle - blue rectangle). This is not intuitive for me. If you also think it is not so intuitive, you might interested in my slides. I try to explain this for hight school students. Slides:  A bit intuitive (for me) explanation of area of parallelogram  (to my site, external link) .