Skip to main content

Authors in a Markov matrix Part 2 (10) Experimental results: Which author do people find most inspiring?


Conclusion


To find out that which author do people find most inspiring, we used the link structure of Wikipedia. First we extracted the link structure of Wikipedia and create the adjacency matrix, then we apply an eigenanalysis method, which is also called PageRank, to answer the first question. We showed the results of German, English, and Japanese authors.  We also compared the same category (authors), but between the different data source, i.e., different language Wikipedia. We can see the interesting similarity and also difference.  Personally, one of the authors was surprised me that Winston Churchill and Issac Newton have a high ranking score. He didn't know Winston Churchill is the Nobel Prize winner of the literature.


Computational literature


Recently, I use a mathematical approach or an information scientific approach to understand literature and languages. This approach has a huge limitation, but on the other hand, it gives me some measureable values. Brené Brown said in her TED talk [2], ``Maybe stories are just data with a soul.'' Maybe so. And I think the soul can cast a vague shadow on data. I agree that we can not reconstruct the soul now.  However, reading a book is just an act of reading symbol sequence -- reading data sequence --, I still know my soul can be moved by the act.  I want to see a footprint of the soul in the data. This article is one of this kind of trial. I don't know how to call this approach, therefore, tentatively, I call this approach ``Computational literature,'' until I found a better name.

Future work


We summarize the future work:


  • Are there any bias based on Wikipedia writers? (Ditger v A.)
  • How can we avoid the category problem. How can we automatize the data collection.
  • Apply other graph analysis methods. We only apply the eigenanalysis (PageRank) in this article.
  • We saw the adjacency matrix has some property (e.g., not full rank). We can deeply look into the graph structure using some graph theory tool.
  • It is interesting to apply this method to other language authors.
  • This method is not limited to authors. We can apply this method to other area, for example, actors, musicians, politicians, mathematicians, and so on.


This was a relatively large project as a Sunday research, it took almost half a year. But, this was fun.


Acknowledgments


I thank to all the friends who gave me a lot of useful comments at the lunch time. Thanks to Andy K. to check some part of my English in part 1. I thank to Rebecca M., who first asked me the question. This project doesn't exist if she didn't ask me the question.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why A^{T}A is invertible? (2) Linear Algebra

Why A^{T}A has the inverse Let me explain why A^{T}A has the inverse, if the columns of A are independent. First, if a matrix is n by n, and all the columns are independent, then this is a square full rank matrix. Therefore, there is the inverse. So, the problem is when A is a m by n, rectangle matrix.  Strang's explanation is based on null space. Null space and column space are the fundamental of the linear algebra. This explanation is simple and clear. However, when I was a University student, I did not recall the explanation of the null space in my linear algebra class. Maybe I was careless. I regret that... Explanation based on null space This explanation is based on Strang's book. Column space and null space are the main characters. Let's start with this explanation. Assume  x  where x is in the null space of A .  The matrices ( A^{T} A ) and A share the null space as the following: This means, if x is in the null space of A , x is also in the null spa

Gauss's quote for positive, negative, and imaginary number

Recently I watched the following great videos about imaginary numbers by Welch Labs. https://youtu.be/T647CGsuOVU?list=PLiaHhY2iBX9g6KIvZ_703G3KJXapKkNaF I like this article about naming of math by Kalid Azad. https://betterexplained.com/articles/learning-tip-idea-name/ Both articles mentioned about Gauss, who suggested to use other names of positive, negative, and imaginary numbers. Gauss wrote these names are wrong and that is one of the reason people didn't get why negative times negative is positive, or, pure positive imaginary times pure positive imaginary is negative real number. I made a few videos about explaining why -1 * -1 = +1, too. Explanation: why -1 * -1 = +1 by pattern https://youtu.be/uD7JRdAzKP8 Explanation: why -1 * -1 = +1 by climbing a mountain https://youtu.be/uD7JRdAzKP8 But actually Gauss's insight is much powerful. The original is in the Gauß, Werke, Bd. 2, S. 178 . Hätte man +1, -1, √-1) nicht positiv, negative, imaginäre (oder gar um

Why parallelogram area is |ad-bc|?

Here is my question. The area of parallelogram is the difference of these two rectangles (red rectangle - blue rectangle). This is not intuitive for me. If you also think it is not so intuitive, you might interested in my slides. I try to explain this for hight school students. Slides:  A bit intuitive (for me) explanation of area of parallelogram  (to my site, external link) .